Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 1

Within the first five minutes of being in the classroom, it was clear that I had not mentally prepared myself for the high-stimulate day ahead. I had spent numerous early mornings with the three year olds trying to keep them occupied and entertained long enough for the teachers to prepare the projects for the day. Today I wasn't a volunteer for Hillcrest Fellows that would come in her uniform, play with the kids for about an hour, then leave promising to return in a week. Today I was the teacher. I prepared the crafts, lead opening circle, read stories to the class, and guided them through their crafts. 7:30-12:30 may not sound like a long time but when you become the center of a three year olds world, that seems like a lifetime. I came on a good week. Assessments of each child are being done this week. They don't receive grades or take hour long tests like I do. They are "graded" on their motor skills, able to identify letters and numbers, and how they interact with others their age. Who knew climbing the monkey bars was the ultimate accomplishment? I've only begun to learn about how vital it is for a child to think about doing an action then being able to make it actually happen. I can't wait for learn more about "what makes someone Pre-K 2 ready" and what does not.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone is ready for a full day with 3 year olds! Definitely puts the work done over at Hillcrest in perspective, and gives a new level of respect for teachers who work with the younger set!

    Can't wait to hear about the rest of your week... Can you post a schedule along with your reflection so we can see a timeline of what your day is like?

    -Tedrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Thanks for validating what I feel on a daily basis regarding three year olds. They are quite smart, aren't they? Maybe you can give me some tips for my three year old!
    Dr. J

    ReplyDelete