I lead opening circle once again this morning telling the kids their jobs for the day such as line leader, door holder, special helper, caboose, ect. Then we take attendance, talk about what day of the week it is, go over the schedule for the day, count the calendar, discuss the weather, and water the plants. Walking to chapel was a challenge today. It was as if every kid drank 5 cups of coffee this morning and forgot how to talk in their "inside voices." I learned a lot during playground time by just observing how the kids interacted with one another. Some prefer to use their actions rather than their words to express their anger, some were off in their own world entertaining themselves, a couple clinged onto the teachers & myself, and the rest played nicely with one another. Today's evaluation test involved the swing set. They were "graded" on their ability to pull themselves up onto the swing, get themselves going by pumping their legs, and being able to keep themselves going using the pumping motion. Snack and story time went smoothly and then it was time for centers. I was helping each child make their crab while the others played in their assigned centers. As I was observing, I noticed how smart some of them were. To make the crab, they need to put eight legs and two pinchers on it. It was amazing how fast some of them could add and subtract without me even asking. During motor lab the teachers have somewhat of a break and leave the kids for about 20 minutes. During this time we cleaned up, prepared for carpool, discuss some highlights of the day, and made plans for the tomorrow. Carpool was carpool and finally the day had come to an end. I helped them finish cleaning up and then day two had ended.
How are the behind the scenes things going? What are you doing before the kids are there and after they leave? Is there a lot of prep work for a PK teacher?
ReplyDeleteHave you had any difficult interactions with a student yet?
-Tedrow